Technology is all around us. For most of us, it is the last thing we look at before we fall asleep at night and the first thing we reach for when we wake up in the morning. I’ll be the first person to say that we all need to get off the grid every once in awhile and appreciate life without a phone. However, I will also say, life with a phone makes long distance relationships much easier. Oh and by the way, did I mention long distance relationships just…. suck? There is nothing fun about them but like I said, at least we have technology to help make them a little bit more bearable.
I, along with the vast majority of my fellow military significant others, are no strangers to long distance relationships. Most of us were in different locations during the dating phase and now in marriage we deal with frequent TDYs and of course, deployments. While each couple has their own routine and their preferred way to communicate, video chat is definitely used across the board. Here are the top five apps that we all agreed are so helpful in long distance relationships-
1. Google Hangouts- This app is especially helpful if one person in the relationship has an iPhone while the other has an Android. It is great for messaging, phone calls, and of course video chat. Speaking from personal experience, once we started using this app a couple of years ago, we haven’t used anything else! We use it every single day to ‘text’ each other and when we are apart we use it to video chat. It’s really great to have it all in one place! Oh and it’s free!
2. WhatsApp- This app is great especially for overseas assignments. This free app is available on iPhone, Android, and the computer. It includes messaging, phone, video chat, group chat, phone/video sharing, voice messaging, and document sharing. Without a phone plan overseas it can easily be used on Wifi to communicate with family members back home.
3. Couple- Stephen and I recently downloaded this app to check it out and it’s so cool! One of our friends said they used it during their long distance relationship and loved it. The app allows you to text, video chat, send pictures and videos, draw pictures with each other, make lists of things you want to do together, and even has a “thumbkiss” feature. This is definitely something we’ll utilize on the next TDY and deployment!
4. Skype- We all know this one… It’s the classic! Available on the phone and computer, this one has been used across the board by all of us at some point in our long distance relationship.
5. FaceTime- For two iPhone users this one is very easy to video chat with. However, a messaging feature is not included within the app.
If you’re in a long distance relationship or are about to be living long distance from your love, I hope these apps can at least make the process a bit easier and less painful (for lack of a better word). If you ever need any advice or just someone to talk to we are always here and we’re more than happy to help!